Should you use a Dust-Free Hardwood Floor Refinishing Company?
Refinishing a wooden floor usually involves sanding which is scrubbing off the top surface with a coarse material, to take off the dents and scuff marks. The level of sanding required depends on how scruffy the floor. A hardwood floor refinishing service Long Island will require using up to 3 levels of sanding grits will be required before the raw hardwood look can be achieved. Sanding produces great quantities of wood dust. This dust settles on the items in the house to make a very unsightly look. Go to www.myhardwoodflooringlongisland.com for additional info.
Refinishing a floor after a period of say 10 years requires full sanding. This means using sanding grits that have 3 different levels of coarseness. Dust is produced as the grits scrub off layers of wood. The dust produced is very fine and spreads very easily in the air. It can settle on the walls, and even in other rooms that are not being sanded. This dirties the whole house.
This wooden dust is also injurious to people with allergies. It can trigger sneezing or asthmatic attacks in people with respiratory problems. The dust is also carcinogenic as it is mixed with chemicals that were used in finishing the wood including stain and polyurethane. This dust is also dangerous if it gets into electronic items as it can damage fine electronic mechanisms.
Dustless sanding is a term that a wood floor refinishing company Long Island use to show that the process they use will reduce the amount of dust escaping into the air. Dustless sanding usually involves using a machine that has a suction pipe that sucks up the dust as it comes off the wood, and sends it to a containment chamber.
This is an alternative to sanding. This process skips the sanding and goes to screening and buffing the surface of the wood to scrub off the scratched polyurethane layer. Another layer of polyurethane is applied. This process is dustless as the wood remains untouched. There is no dust to float into the air. The main disadvantage is that this kind of refinishing does not take care of the marks that have penetrated through the layers of stain to the wood. It also does not allow you to change the color of the wood.
A common myth told by contractors is that sanding can be totally dustless. Although technological advances have seen better dust capturing mechanisms, some dust particles will still be left behind when sanding is done.
Some contractors will simplify the dust free refinishing process to make it look misleadingly cheap and simple. A full refinish will require full sanding, staining, applying of the top coat, screening and buffing. Hardwood floor refinishing cost Long Island can be quite high. It is imperative that you do proper preparations for the refinishing as it will cost quite a good amount of money for the average size home.
Some companies will promise to charge half the price their competitors are charging. This is simply not possible unless the contractor is betting on doing a shoddy job. Some of the questions you can use to put off such a lie include:
- How is project preparation being done, and what is included in it?
- How will you protect my assets?
- What does the sanding process involve?
- What different grits will be used on the floor?
- What is the finishing coat material and how many coats are needed?
- Does the dust free refinishing guarantee no VOC’s?
A full dust free refinishing job is quite expensive, which has forced some contractors to look for other ways of making a wooden floor look new again. Chemical refinishing involves scuffing the floor, then using a chemical to etch it. This strips away the top layer to allow for a new top coat.
This use of chemicals for a dust free refinishing is quick and is truly dust free unlike the type done by contractors using dust vacuums. Advantages of this kind of refinishing include:
- There is absolutely no dust as there is no sanding. This makes it ideal for places like hospitals, schools and homes where there are people with respiratory problems. This is also advantageous to the company staff.
- There are no contaminants. This means no extra protection is needed to cover the shelves or cabinets. This method can be used even in eateries and other places handling food and drinks.
- The time for refinishing is reduced to 1 day for the common house size, unlike a refinishing involving sanding which may require several days. Commercial premises can be refinished at night and be ready for use the next morning.
- It costs less than a refinishing with full sanding.
- It does not weaken the wood like sanding which strips away layers of wood.
The limitation of this method is that it does not work well for floors that are heavily dented or scuffed.